Saturday, October 29, 2011

ACL Surgery

A couple of years ago Rob thought he tore his ACL playing basketball.  He didn't go to the doctors until almost three years later. He tried to just rehab it on his own and get the muscles around it strong enough to continue to use it.  Unfortunately after he ran the Salt Lake Marathon in April he decided to go get it checked out.  Sure enough it was the ACL and he needed surgery.  He finally got surgery September 14th of this year.  The night before surgery I was talking to his mom and she warned me he might say some funny things when he comes out of surgery. . . she was right he sure did, even some things that embarrassed me.  Here are a few of his funny comments:

"Oh good they didn't amputate my leg, I still have one!"

He also would slap is cheeks really fast and shake his head fast then say "wake up, wake up, wake up, I"m awake, I'm awake, I'm awake"  then he would drop his head back fast and be asleep again.

He asked for my hand so I thought he wanted to hold my hand.  when I put my hand in his he said, "no, your other hand" a little confused I put my other hand up and he started having a thumb war with me.

With puckered lips he said come close so I thought he wanted to kiss me.  He kept telling me to come closer, so finally I went in and kissed him.  He said "no, secret, I have a secret." He grabbed my head and told me a secret.

The nurse came into the room and Rob was grabbing the air and the she said, "are you still seeing pink elephants?"  he responded, "No, Panthers!"

On our way home from the hospital he would close his eyes for a few minutes then when he would open them he said, "Wow you are going so fast, when every time I open my eyes we are already so far!"  little did he know I was actually going under the speed limit trying not to make the ride too bumpy for his leg.

He also kept asking me to take pictures:

                                       BEFORE



He is holding the teddy bear they gave him when he arrived.  When we got into the car to go home after surgery he asked, "Did you bring the teddy bear?"  I said, "yes I did" he responded "oh good I was worried"

                                AFTER

               All the after pictures that were taken in the hospital were taken because Rob kept asking me to take more, which is surprising tell because he looks totally out of it or asleep in all of them!









First day of physical therapy







No comments:

Post a Comment